Thursday, 6 December 2012

Things I Love Thursday: Frosty Mornings

One of my goals as part of my life overhaul has been to become a more positive person. I don't mean that I walk aound grinning like a buffoon (well, actually, I do do that), but just that up to a certain extent we do have a choice of how to face life and all its challenges, and I'd rather spend as much of my time as is realistic enjoying myself rather than sulking or beating myself up about minor details that I can't change.

I started writing gratitude lists on Stripy Tights but never really got into it. I have also been keeping them in my personal journal - one of my New Year's Resolutions is going to be to do this every day. Even if it's a really, really rubbish day I might still have had a lovely cup of tea in the morning or seen a beautiful sunset, and whilst that won't make up for the absolute pants-ness of the rest of the day, it's still worth cherishing. Or so I feel.

So without further ado, this week I am grateful for:
  • Frosty mornings. It's really really cold out there, and whilst you may not catch me out-of-doors without four jumpers and thermal undies, it is utterly beautiful when the frost sparkles in the sunlight. I also love how clear and pale blue the skies are on sunny winter days.
  • Feeling festive. I'm not quite getting into the swing of all things Christmas yet, but I have a friend who utterly adores the mince pie season and it's hard to get my 'bah, humbug' on when she's around. Bring on the Christmas jumpers (I'm looking for a non-chainstore one if I can find one, and if it's a cross-eyed reindeer, all the better!) and earrings with bells on!
  • Clearing out. Yes, I'm going on and on about it, but it's just so refreshing! Today I'm going through the inspiration folders on my computer, clearing out and reorganising. (Virtual reorganising counts, right? It totally counts.)
  • Tis the season for hot chocolate! Have been working my way through the festive hot drinks list at Boswells cafe, and also enjoying mulled wine at the pub instead of my usual rum and coke or Desperados.
  • Making friends with other people who actually read books. I love meeting new people who are readers because we can do things like gabble inanely about the upcoming Hobbit film, make obscure book jokes and laugh like drains, and possibly even best of all - book recommendations. I get very excited about this sort of thing, you know.
  • Finding the perfect present! I don't stress much about Christmas shopping because I don't shop for a huge amount of people - only my nearest and dearest. Because I like to think I know them so well, it's usually a breeze to get it all done and always a thrill to find that perfect present.
  • Buying new products from Lush. I've been making the effort to go green with all my cosmetics, and whilst handmade is fun and buying from independent companies on Etsy and finding small shops squirrelled away around my hometown makes me feel a little saintly, Lush will always be my first love for beauty products of all kinds. I really want to work there. Lush Overlords, are you reading this?
  • Having a carpet. Seriously, I will never take warm toes for granted again. In fact, whilst we're on the subject I have a great deal of love for my big fluffy beanbag in my reading corner as well. Yes, I made a reading corner. I don't think I've ever been so happy.
  • Spending lots of time with my very best friends. I don't know if it's impending Christmas or impending Doomsday that's making us all so soppy, but I'm loving it. ^^
  • Listening to other people's iPods. One friend in particular has the best music taste - drum'n'bass followed by the 28 Days Later theme followed by Less Than Jake followed by Beethoven followed by some random latin jazz ska thing (he did tell me what they were called but I forget). The upshot of this madness is that we all drive home from the pub singing along obnoxiously to Call Me Maybe and then looking around anxiously for zombies as the 28 Days Later theme swells.
Jo and me on my 21st birthday. This photo makes me laugh so much!
What about you lovelies? What made your week? <3

22 comments:

  1. firstly, virtual re-organising totally counts! (I hope)
    Discovering there are more people out there who are finding pigeon-holing themselves into one group or other just isn't working for them, silly banter and making of motivational posters on my group of friends in-jokes.
    enjoying the simple things and having good friends, definitely the way to go =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love these! I did them for a while in my diary.

    It's great to have friends who read, isn't it? I need to be able to talk books and movies with people. I also loved discovering Steampunk, (although it's been ages now) it connects so well to all my different interests, and it's given me so much to do and interesting new people to meet! I feel it's really enriched my experiences!

    And yeah, having fun with friends. And all the lovely people whose blogs I read and comment on mine, I know such interesting people now through blogging!

    Discovering new music on youtube. my music collection is basically non-existent, but I have so many awesome songs I have discovered on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely is wonderful to have fellow bookworms as friends!

      A friend of mine recently discovered steampunk and I was almost as excited as I was when I first started getting into it myself. I never realised how much fun shared interests can be!

      Delete
  3. Lady Rowena Saew6 December 2012 at 12:05

    Dear Amy, I was just wondering (this is really unrelated) but, you were home schooled, right? what's it like really? My parents are most likely going to pull me out of school to either take evening classes, or be home schooled, and i'm a little nervous. what's it like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed home-schooled, but not conventionally! My mum worked full-time and we couldn't afford a tutor so essentially I educated myself (whether or not I did a good job on that is a whole other question!). It can be very lonely so I would advise perhaps joining a club or group where you can be around people (or volunteering!), and also it can be difficult to stay motivated. But there are a lot of benefits too - for starters, one-on-one tutoring can be hugely beneficial as you can have the individual attention that is hard to achieve in schools and you can learn about things not on the usual curriculum. Don't be nervous! Make sure you keep in touch with friends and spend some time outside of the house, and apply yourself just like you would in school, and you will be just fine!

      Delete
  4. What made my week was Christmas baking, decorating, cleaning house and getting ready for a Christmas get-together with friends and family tomorrow night.

    And trust me, you'll be glad you started the clearing out process now - especially when you reach your late 50's and won't have such an overwhelming task ahead of you as you start trying to downsize! And I am completely speaking from experience, here ...

    I love this new blog ... it seems so much more you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-D

      Eheheh, I can't even imagine the size of that task by the time I get into my fifties, it's overwhelming enough right now so that is a truly scary thought! Thanks for the motivation!

      Delete
  5. I was in a bit of a panic yesterday because I'd stayed too late round a friend's house and didn't want to walk back home, so I stayed the night - might seem normal to most but my family really has issues with staying round others' - and I was woken up by the most beautiful sunrise. Made everything better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love meeting people who read :D It's sort of rare nowadays actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to be judgemental but I do get sort of frowny when people tell me they don't read books >.<

      Delete
  7. There's a man at my college who used to be pretty punk back in the day. We spent a good while talking about music and looking at his portfolio of cemetery photos. He's going to loan me some of his CD's! :) It made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Artistic Darkness6 December 2012 at 22:53

    I love frost immensely as well! And yes, I also love to have friends (Even if I am an introvert!) who read. It seems the love for reading is dwindling, which is quite unfortunate; as I am a literature nerd and often go off on tangents about books (I'm known to randomly say, "Ph'nlgui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtgan" when with my family), whilst none know what I am speaking of, it is nice indeed to have others to be a geek with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fellow introvert high five*

      I think I just got out-geeked XDD

      Delete
  9. haha I have such a habit of stalking my friends Ipods as well :P good to know I'm not alone in that.

    --
    Please do check out my makeup/style blog as well
    blingyoctopus.blogspot.ca Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amyyyyy you seem so much more relaxed and happier! This makes me glad as I am also feeling bogged down by negative flow in my life. You're an inspiration my lovely <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello gorgeous! <3 Thank you so much! xxxxxxxx

      Delete
  11. Virtual tidying totally counts. :)

    I am also a fan of hot cocoa season. I tried out a delightful sea salt/caramel cocoa last week. I want a case of that in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmm that sounds amazing! I love chili in my cocoa <3

      Delete